Our Good Neighbor…St Henry Catholic Church

StHenry2.jpgSunday, during one of my frequent morning scooter rides around the Cloister neighborhood, I turned down the footpath between 414 and 416 Siena Drive. This old concrete walking path looked like it had been here for decades, the stippled surface of the path was partially protected by sections of a warn and partially rusted painted handrail. This path led directly to St Henry Catholic Church.

I turned left at the end of the walkway and watched the valet parkers pulling away cars that picked up and delivered older members with their walkers to the side entrance to the church dedicated to these parishioners. This was for the 11:00 am Service.

I myself entered through the handicapped entrance past a large room with hundreds of people enjoying coffee and donuts, served after the 9:00 am service, while the room was filled with sounds of children playing in the open areas. I rode by the small chapel, as large as some churches I have visited, into one of the most beautiful catholic churches I have seen in the US; Not as colorful as the Eastern Orthodox churches in Europe and on the East Coast but nearly as imposing as some of the smaller cathedrals of Spain and Italy.

St Henry Church Hwy 70, Nashville, TN

St Henry Church Hwy 70, Nashville, TN

A number of years ago my son joined the Catholic Church. I asked him why? (Since none of the family are Catholic) His perfect answer was “Because going to church makes me feel good.” On Sunday ……I felt GOOD


Absentee Voting in Nashville

.Bonney and I vote by absentee ballot


To vote by mail, a registered voter must fall under one of the following categories:

  1. The voter will be outside the county of registration during the early voting period and all day on election day;
  2. The voter or the voter’s spouse is enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited college or university outside the county of registration;
  3. The voter’s licensed physician has filed a statement with the county election commission stating that, in the physician’s judgment, the voter is medically unable to vote in person. The statement must be filed not less than seven (7) days before the election and signed under the penalty of perjury;
  4. The voter resides in a licensed facility providing relatively permanent domiciliary care, other than a penal institution, outside the voter’s county of residence;
  5. The voter will be unable to vote in person due to service as a juror for a federal or state court;
  6. The voter is sixty (60) years of age or older;
  7. The voter has a physical disability and an inaccessible polling place;
  8. The voter is hospitalized, ill, or physically disabled and because of such condition, cannot vote in person;
  9. The voter is a caretaker of a person who is hospitalized, ill, or disabled;
  10. The voter is a candidate for office in the election;
  11. The voter serves as an election day official or as a member or employee of the election commission;
  12. The voter’s observance of a religious holiday prevents him or her from voting in person during the early voting period and on election day;
  13. The voter or the voter’s spouse possesses a valid commercial drivers license (CDL) or the voter possesses a valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card and certifies that he or she will be working outside the state or county of registration during the open hours of early voting and Election Day, and has no specific out-of-county or out-of-state address to which mail may be sent or received during such time.
  14. The voter is a member of the military or is an overseas citizen.
absentee2For Absentee Ballot call 615-862-8800 or go to

How Do Cloister Residents Feel About Speed Bump Additions and Extensions?

Most Cloister Residents are against additional speed bumps or extending speed bumps across the entire street….

Tear Out Speed Bumps at The Cloister

Tear Out Speed Bumps at The Cloister

Comments to Cloister Living Blog on Speed Bump Extensions and Additions

  • Additional speed bumps are NOT needed and is a total waste of money. Please spend our money more wisely.
  • Additional speed bumps is a huge waste of money. They are not needed. Please don’t spend our money this way.
  • More speed bumps are NOT needed!! Why is this even an issue, when David Floyd tells me “they have to be more stingy” with OUR monies!! I absolutely, think residents should be able vote on such matters!! I am not so sure that some board members have the best interest of “ALL” residents in mine! I hope the board will get their priorities’ in order!!
  • In the year and a half we have lived here, we have never observed any high speed traffic in our neighborhood. We do not think that additional speed bumps is a wise use of the limited Cloister funds.
  • I agree

Results of Recent Poll….

Poll Results About Speed Bump Additions

Poll Results About Speed Bump Additions  ….. 73% of those polled are against speed bump additions or extensions.

Cloister Speed Bump Additions Will Cause Problems

I was disturbed when I read the August “The Cloister News” that the HOA Board has decided to add more speed bumps to our streets and to extend speed bumps at stop signs.

Here is why……;

A speed bump is mainly used in parking lots in selected places where the intention is to slow traffic to a near stop whereas a speed hump is used on streets to prevent speeding above the speed limit (usually 15 or 20 or 25 mph)

The speed limit at The Cloister is 15 mph but if anyone drove over a Cloister speed bump at 15 MPH their car would go flying and probably break part of the undercarriage of their car. So most private streets will usually use speed humps and leave the speed bumps for the Kroger parking lot.

A  speed bump like used at The Cloister. Some residents drive around them to reduce daily wear and tear on their cars.

A speed bump like used at The Cloister. Some residents drive around them to reduce daily wear and tear on their cars.

Traffic proceeds slowly in areas where speed bumps are placed.

They are typically intended for front of store or school entrances, parking lots, at pedestrian crossings, garages and near stop sign locations.

Speed humps offer softer intrusion. Traffic normally remains moving but at around 10 -15 mph.

They are better suited for high traffic areas, entrances from major roads and areas experiencing speeders..

A speed hump used on streets to reduce speeding.

A speed hump used on streets to reduce speeding.

.Speed Hump Layout
.I would suggest a layout as in the picture below

Speed humps with a bicycle path for  dog walkers, morning walkers, bicyclers and wheelchairs

Speed humps with a bicycle path for dog walkers, morning walkers, bicyclers and wheelchairs

.Has anyone considered that:

  • A speed bump across the entire road may dam the streets and cause flooding? Water flows rapidly and in large volume down Marquette Drive during hard rains.
  • A speed bump completely across the road will hamper walkers, bicyclists and handicapped persons.

This information took me 1/2 hour to research and put together. Perhaps the HOA Board and ARMS Committee should solicit suggestions from we Cloister residents before they take actions that effect all of us?

Do I Have Enough Condo Insurance?

Since we moved in we have completely remodeled the kitchen, replaced the flooring(already replaced once due to a burst water pipe), redone the master bath, and replaced some furniture. Will my Condo insurance policy cover my improved home?

And exactly what does a typical policy cover and is the coverage enough?

An HO6 homeowner’s policy has 5 basic areas of coverage:

Dwelling Coverage- covers your unit’s walls, ceilings, and floors. Some building master policies cover your unit as well, so you might not need to insure for the full replacement cost. There is a larger deductible on the master policy, however, and most unit owners do carry around $10,000 of dwelling coverage.

Dwelling Coverage Insurance companies offer Dwelling Coverage, which generally insures the interior walls, drywall, wallpaper, paneling, flooring, carpeting, or built-in cabinets. This is the coverage you need to cover your part of the building; the unit you own.

As a condo association, you all take responsibility and ownership for the common areas, the exterior of the building, and energy equipment. The interior of your unit, however, is your responsibility, and it is important to make sure your real estate investment is protected.

Note: Some condo “Master Policies” provide all-in coverage. This means the entire building, including your unit, are covered. Check your condos Master Policy and find our if it covers your individual unit. If the Master Policy doesn’t cover your unit, you need individual Dwelling Coverage.

Dwelling Coverage usually covers damage resulting from:

* Freezing of plumbing * Accidental discharge or overflow of water from your plumbing * Fire and lightning * Explosions * Theft, vandalism and malicious mischief * Sudden, accidental damage from smoke * Weight of snow, ice and sleet * Sudden, accidental tearing, cracking, burning or bulging of a steam pipe or hot water heating system

Dwelling does not cover damage caused by:

* Earthquakes, floods, and in many states, hurricanes. If you want to insure your Condo against these risks, you may be able to buy an additional policy or endorsement for each of these. * Theft by someone named on your Condo policy as an insured party.

Do I need dwelling coverage for my unit?

* As noted above, your condo building Master Policy might have coverage for your unit. Find out if you have coverage and, if so, how much coverage and at what deductible.

Important note on condo docs: In some rare cases, your condo documents might say something different than your Master Policy. If your Master Policy says your unit is insured for dwelling, but your condo docs say otherwise, the condo docs win. A claim adjuster would default to what the condo docs say, and you wouldn’t have coverage. Make sure your condo docs state the same coverage as your Master Policy.

* If you have no coverage with your building policy, you should purchase dwelling coverage for the full replacement amount.

Even if your building Master Policy provides some coverage for your unit, most condo owners still like to take out dwelling coverage for their specific unit, often around $10,000 with a $500 deductible. This is due to master policy limits, high deductibles, and condo document discrepancies (see above).

Personal Property- covers your personal property such as clothing, electronics, furniture, fixtures, books, artwork, etc. The building master policy does not cover this. A home inventory is very important to prove ownership of personal property

Personal Property Personal Property Coverage typically protects your personal belongings against the same list of risks and perils mentioned in Dwelling Coverage of Condo Policies Part 1.

Your personal property is not covered by a condo master policy, and you should protect it. Unlike dwelling coverage, where the building policy might provide some coverage, your personal property is at risk.

Personal property includes everything you own in your home. Furniture, TVs, computers, rugs, clothing, books, cookware, etc. Everything that is not attached to your condo is personal property and it should be insured. See our home inventory page for details about documenting your personal property.

How Much Coverage Is Enough?

There are a couple ways to determine how much coverage you need. The question is difficult: what is the replacement cost of everything you own? Most often, homeowners undervalue their property which results in them under-insuring their property.

One method is to individually value each item in your home. This means taking an entire inventory of your home, and assigning a value to each item. Many homeowners also like to take pictures, or even a video, of their home to keep on file in case of a loss.

Another method of determining your personal property value is to use a simple multiplier. As a rule of thumb, for the first 1,000 square feet of your condo, assume $40,000 in personal property. For each additional 500 square feet, add approximately $5,000 in coverage.

Example: If your unit were 1,500 square feet you would want to consider purchasing $45,000 in personal property coverage.

Unless otherwise specified, Coverage C – Personal Property Coverage is for actual cash value at the time of loss, which is the replacement cost of the item, minus depreciation. Buying an endorsement can increase this coverage.

Do you need more than actual cash value coverage for your personal belongings?

We recommend replacement coverage for your personal property, rather than actual cash value. If you purchased most of your belongings a few years ago, their current depreciated value may be a lot less than what it would take to replace them.

Example: If your television is damaged in a fire, actual cash value coverage pays out the amount of money your 10-year-old TV would be worth today, which may only be a few dollars. Replacement cost coverage would pay for a new TV of the same size and functions. This is why replacement cost coverage is always better than actual cash value.

If you have personal property such as firearms, jewelry, furs, antiques, collectibles, fine artwork, musical instruments or office equipment, you may need additional coverage. A standard condo policy usually has specific dollar limits for items like these. You can add or increase coverage amounts with an endorsement or additional policy.

Loss of Use- if you home is damaged and needs repair, you will need someplace to live. Loss of use coverage pays for living expenses while your home is being repaired.

Loss of Use If a loss occurs and your home is damaged, it will take some time to renovate your home. During this time, you will probably need somewhere else to live while the work is being done. How will you pay for additional living expenses while your condo is being fixed?

Loss of Use Coverage will insure you for temporary housing expenses such as an apartment rental. Loss of use coverage will also cover things like furniture, car and boat storage, and even pet kennel expenses.

The Loss of Use coverage usually has a limit based on a percentage of the Personal Property limit, often around 40%. For example: if you insure Personal Property for $30,000, your Loss of Use coverage limit would be $12,000 (40% of $30,000).

Personal Liability- covers you from personal liability claims. The classic example is a “slip & fall” in your home, and you get sued. The list goes on and on, which shows how important it is to have enough liability coverage.

Personal Liability One of the most important parts of a condo insurance policy is the Personal Liability Coverage. This will cover you against lawsuits, legal expenses, and medical costs if you are legally responsible for injury or property damage to others. The coverage here is variable, but most insurance professionals recommend $500,000.

Medical Payments- if a person is injured in your home, and is not named on your policy, this would pay for minor medical payments.

Medical Payments If a person is injured in your condo, and they are not named on your policy, this coverage would pay for some minor medical treatment, such as exams or X-rays. Generally, this coverage is fairly low, but provides the insured with means to cover minor medical expenses without filing a claim against the Personal Liability Coverage portion of the HO6.

Do I have enough coverage? I will discuss this with my insurance company soon.