Question: How do I find a good orthopedic surgeon?
- Answer: Ask a Physical Therapist who the best doctors are?
Question: How do I find about a good general practice MD?
- Answer: It’s nearly impossible except if a friend refers you. The GP’s I have dealt with over the last few years are trying to hold their earnings by using medical tech’s who may have had training and some experience. If I’m lucky, a MD may spend 5 minutes during a visit. My best experiences are with Nurse Practitioners, they spend the time, and actually are willing to do “hands on” medical care.
Question: How do I find good repair and other services for your home?
- Answer: Now that is the most difficult…
Tips about hiring…..
If you have time and it is not an emergency research potential hires and speak with past clients. Get at least three estimates..
Inquire about costs. Expect to pay up to $100 for a typical service call. Additional parts and labor charges will apply if you hire the company for a repair, but many companies will deduct the service charge.
Is the work under warranty?
If your furnace has just died in sub-zero temperatures or your air conditioner has gone kaput on a sweltering day, you’ll probably be glad to hire the first repairman who can come to your house that day.
If you’re planning a major or costly upgrade to your home’s heating, air conditioning or air ducts, it’s worth the time to research and interview several companies before hiring one. Ensure that the project’s overall scope, details and completion dates are thoroughly documented.
Payment schedule: On a big job, especially when installing new equipment, you may need to make a deposit and make progress payments or planned payments to satisfy the bill. Never, ever, make full payment in advance. Don’t give full payment if you have not received delivery of goods or total completion of services promised.
Service contracts are almost never justified except in the case of a new, expensive automobile where an extended warranty may save considerable money in the event of car problems.
If you’ve got a major leak on Christmas Day, you may be glad just to find a plumber who will fix it.
If you’re planning a costly renovation, take the time to interview more than one plumber before picking one.
Estimates: Get at least three written estimates from three different plumbers. Documentation is often the best ammunition should things go wrong.
On a big job, especially a planned remodeling, the service provider may want the customer to pay 10 to 15 percent of the cost up front and 50 percent paid before the job is completed – especially if expensive materials need to be purchased for the project.
Where the company is located: Be cautious of contractors who give you a post office box with no street address or use only an answering service.
Handyman hiring tips
1. Define the project. Start by compiling a list of the home repairs you would like completed. Remember, a handyman is best utilized for small jobs such as installing light fixtures, patching drywall and interior painting. If the job requires pulling a permit, or moving plumbing or electrical wiring, you should consider hiring a contractor.
Inspect the work. Inspect the completed work before making payment. Make sure that everything has been done to your satisfaction and at the agreed upon price. Most handymen will be happy to explain the finished work because they want you to be satisfied.
Home Cleaning Service
You don’t have to be wealthy to hire a cleaning service. Many busy families arrange for a service to come in once a week, once a month or something in between. Have the prospective cleaner meet you at your home so you can walk from room to room asking what type of cleaning they will do and with what products. Most cleaning companies provide their own products, but if there are special products you prefer that they use this may cost extra. It’s preferable to use the same person every time if the experience is satisfactory as different cleaners are likely to clean in different ways.
Finally, trust is extremely important. Unlike most other service providers, house cleaners typically come to your home while you’re at work so you need to feel comfortable allowing them access to your home.
There are two actions we can always take.
- Use Yelp http://www.yelp.com/
- Get a referral from a neighbor