Our Cloister home is a “C” unit with a small laundry closet in the bathroom between the front bedroom and the kitchen. We noticed that our clothes dryer was not drying a load of clothes over one cycle. There was also an odor of varnish in the air when we used the dryer. We later discovered the problem came from the overheating blower motor inside the clothes dryer working too hard to move exhaust air through a long, dirty and lint-clogged duct.
The problems result from the layout of the dryer exhaust system using a 8 ft vertical duct pipe inside a wall with an additional 20 foot plastic flexible duct from the top of the vertical duct pipe to the exhaust hole in the roof and the narrow clearance between the back wall of the utility closet in the bathroom requiring that a flexible duct connector be twisted and coiled when the dryer is moved into the small space in the laundry closet.
Both of these combined to cause a drop in the exhaust air volume resulting in a buildup of lint inside the ducting, which, during freezing weather becomes damp because the humid dryer exhaust air condenses water inside the exposed duct hose in the freezing attic. We had the dryer exhaust vent system cleaned a few years ago but those people did not do a complete job and failed to thoroughly clean the flexible duct in the attic. This duct has been in the attic for over 25 years.
Today a technician removed the attic duct and inspected it on the ground. The plastic and wire coil ducting was so old that it was brittle and falling apart. We had it replaced with a new, fireproof, metalized duct hose. He then cleaned the rest of the duct system and our dryer is working beautifully. We didn’t realize that the dryer hook-up in our Cloister home would require so frequent cleaning.
Periodic inspection and thorough cleaning is now an important part of our regular home maintenance. From now on we plan to have our dryer exhaust duct thoroughly cleaned frequently making sure they clean all the ductwork from the dryer to the top of the roof vent cap.