A few days ago I turned into The Cloister and spotted what looked like the front of a cream color Emergency Medical Services truck far down on Cana Drive. I headed toward the truck to see what was happening. Nosey me!
As I drove by I discovered that it was not an EMS truck but rather a Schwan’s Food Delivery truck making a delivery to one of our neighbors. I stopped and the driver gave me a Schwan’s catalog. The driver told me she was out of Portland, TN and was substituting for the regular Route Person who was ill. She couldn’t tell me anything about the level of sales at The Cloister but she knew there were some customers.
Since then I had an interesting conversation with Nancy Kile, a neighbor on our block. I noticed a Schwan’s truck had stopped in front of her home and made a delivery. I asked her about her experience with Schwan’s Home Delivery. This is what she sold me….
Nancy started buying frozen foods and meals from Schwan’s 10 years ago when she lived in Cookville, TN. She continued buying from Schwan’s after she moved to the Cloister. She says that shopping at a supermarket is not as convenient for her and the food is usually great tasting. She can return anything she dislikes for a full refund. Nancy preorders her food on-line for their regularly scheduled delivery every other Wednesday between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm. Her last order was for for 11 items. This is what she bought:
- Cheese tortellini
- Broccoli Pasta meals
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
- Roast Turkey with Veggie Meals
- Chicken Egg Rolls
- Chicken Broccoli Express Bowls
- Breakfast Croissants
All of these are individually frozen allowing the remaining unused product to be returned to the freezer. I asked her what was best tasting and she said, “The Ice Cream is out of this world and the Yogurt is delicious too, with big chunks of strawberries. And the food is generally restaurant quality.”
Nancy orders from the website but uses their printed catalog for convenience and meal planning. The website is especially useful since each item is reviewed by customers and given 1 to 5 star ratings as well as individual customer comments.
I talked to the Schwan Middle Tennessee Sales Manager Rob Benjamin to determine what special deals are available for new Schwan customers at The Cloister. This is what he told me for new buyers…
- a 20% discount on the first two orders minimum of $25 per order
- a $5 discount on the third order minimum of $25.
- Schwan Rewards of one point per dollar spent worth 5 cents per point on purchases.
- Delivery charge is $1.89 per visit which includes TN Sales tax
- The driver is happy to deliver the food directly to the customer’s freezer. Rob says the drivers know how to store foods in a freezer so they are most convenient. They have a lot of experience with rearranging foods in their trucks!
- I wouldn’t be surprised if the driver himself doesn’t have his own special “New Customer” rewards. It wouldn’t hurt to ask.
If you need any more information, go to the Schwan’s website. Click www.schwans.com/
Bonney and I like what we see and hear about Schwan Foods. We will place our first trial order in a few days.